Bike for Pancakes into the Woods
Enjoy a picturesque bike ride south of Amsterdam where we’ll explore the beautiful Amsterdam Forest and indulge in delicious Dutch pancakes.
Join us for a fantastic four-hour bike ride as we explore the outskirts of Amsterdam with a stop for delicious pancakes along the way.
The bike tour begins with a brief introduction before we start biking towards the edge of the city. We’ll bike south down the Amstel river to the city limits and see a pretty windmill where we’ll stop the group for a brief explanation and photo opportunities.
From there it’s a cruise to the west along Kalfjeslaan (Calf’s lane), which is part of the green belt that exists around the city of Amsterdam. It was designed as a protected corridor with natural plant life, so that the local wildlife can traverse the city more easily. It’s also a lovely path (mostly car free) and will take us straight into the breath-taking woods also known as Amsterdamse Bos (forest).
The Amsterdamse Bos was created as a work project during the Great Depression and is now a stunning green area (three times the size of New York’s Central Park), with an amazing and diverse selection of plants, trees and animals. As we explore the forest, we’ll stop at the Boerderij Meerzicht (lake view farm) pancake restaurant to grab a bite and drink. In winter we can warm up in the cosy indoor restaurant and in summer enjoy the lovely sunny outdoor terrace.
After a nice break and some yummy pancakes, we’ll continue the tour riding through the forest back into town on one of the city’s “bike highways”, which was built on a disused rail line. Here you’ll bike past athletic fields, the Olympic stadium and lovely waterways.
Magere brug aka Skinny bridge
Rembrandts Remembrance statue
Kalfjeslaan and polders landscape
Amsterdamse Bos aka Amsterdam Forest
Boerderij Meerzicht Pancake farm and restaurant
- Please note; that pancakes, drinks and other purchases made at the Pancake lunch stop is NOT included in the tour price.
- Be aware (unless you have a local bank card) cash is the preferred method of payment at the Meerzicht Pancake farm since many credit cards from abroad will not work in the Netherlands.
- Mike’s Bike Tours will provide the bike, bike bags, rain gear if necessary and of course one of our amazing guides to take you along on this fabulous bike tour.
- The bike for a pancake into the woods tour is suitable for people 13 years and older. A reasonable level of bike skill, stamina and good health is required
- This guided bike tour is 25 - 30 km long and lasts about 4 hours.
- Group size: between 8 and 14 people in one group.
- This tour operates Wednesday through Sunday during the months of March – October at 10 am. November – February will be on Friday, Saturday and Sunday at 12:30 in the afternoon.
- No tours Dec 16- Jan 2 and Kings Day April 27th due to the Meerzicht Pancake farm being closed.
- We recommend booking your bike tour in advance but will still accept walk inns on the day of the bike tour (depending on guide availability). Please note that our bike tours often get sold out so to avoid any disappointment it's best to book in advance.